In this article, you’ll learn about the ways in which a shredded memory foam pillow not only maximizes your comfort but also your options and ROI.
Solid vs Shredded Memory Foam
While most pillows come with a solid block of memory foam, a shredded memory foam pillow contains shreds or pieces of memory foam.
The shredded nature of the foam provides various benefits, including:
Adjustable Pillow - Alter Loft and Firmness
The shredded memory foam is packed into a zippered pillowcase. You can simply alter the amount of foam inside the pillowcase to alter the loft and firmness of the pillow.
So it works as an adjustable pillow
By adjusting the height and firmness of the pillow, you can ensure:
- Better alignment: adjust the height and firmness to ensure that the spine is properly aligned and that the head doesn’t sink into the pillow.
- Better support: with the right height and firmness, memory foam can fit your curves perfectly to provide good support.
Memory foam retains body heat and uses it to become malleable and mold according to the shape of your head and neck.
But this heats up the pillow. A solid block of memory foam cannot regulate temperature effectively, and the heat stays trapped inside the pillow and is passed back to the body, exacerbating the symptoms of night sweats.
As the foam is shredded in a shredded memory foam pillow, it enables the hot air from inside the pillow to escape out. So it is better at regulating temperature than a solid memory foam pillow.
Benefits of Memory Foam
In addition to the advantages of shredded memory foam, you also get those of memory foam.
Most people move around a little when asleep. This can cause you to slide up or down your pillow, removing the support provided to your neck.
Memory foam, however, molds to the shape of your neck. So even when you move around, your neck is perfectly cradled and experiences little stress.
When it comes to traditional pillows, some of them are too soft or too firm, enabling your head to sink in or keeping it too high. In either case, such pillows fail to promote good spine alignment.
So your only option is to try multiple pillow sizes and materials.
However, memory foam is a firm material, so it prevents your head from sinking in, promoting better alignment of your spine.
And with shredded memory foam pillows, you can even adjust the height and firmness to find the perfect fit.
Unlike traditional pillow fills such as cotton, down, and feather, memory foam is a very dense material.
It’s density prevents dust from permeating it, so to get rid of the dust, you can simply vacuum the surface or wipe it with a cloth.
And without dust and moisture, your pillow stays naturally resistant from dust mites and molds, both of which cause allergies.
You may be worried that a material that molds may become flat with use. But that’s definitely not the case with memory foam.
Memory foam retains its original shape throughout its lifespan. Even though it molds to the shape of your body, it regains its original shape as soon as you get off of it.
Further, the material is naturally resistant to dust, dust mites, and molds.
So a premium memory foam pillow can easily last you for more than 5 years.
Shredded Memory Foam Pillow with Cooling Gel
Apart from the benefits of a shredded memory foam, you can avail the benefits offered by cooling gel.
Cooling gel is a special material that prevents the heat retained by the pillow to be passed back to the body, providing a cooler experience.
These pillows are perfect for anyone living in a hot climate or suffering from night sweats.
Cooling gels can be of two types:
- Heat absorber: the gel absorbs heat and prevents it from being passed back to the body.
- Phase-changing material: the gel absorbs heat and passes some of it back to properly regulate the pillow's temperature.
How to Clean a Shredded Memory Foam Pillow?
You can take all the pieces of foam out of the zippered pillowcase.
You can wash both the pillow case and cover in your washing machine. However, don’t wash the memory foam, as it can disintegrate. Instead, spot clean the foam to remove any stains.
How to Increase the Life of your Shredded Memory Foam Pillow?
To make your shredded memory foam pillow last longer, you can take the following measures:
- Regularly wash the pillow cover.
- Don’t wash the memory foam in a washing machine.
- Dry the pillow along with the memory foam in the sun.
- Don’t use hard chemicals to spot clean memory foam.
- Consult the manufacturer regarding instructions for cleaning.
Memory foam is highly durable but moisture and hard chemicals can damage it. You can follow the tips mentioned above to extend the life of your shredded memory foam pillow.
5 Best Shredded Memory Foam Pillows
There are several adjustable pillows available on the market, but we’re going to state the top 5 according to our review of the pillows:
Sleepsia Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
It comes with a bamboo cover, which complements the benefits offered by shredded memory foam pillow.
Main features of this pillow include:
- Adjustable pillow: the foam is shredded, so you can adjust the loft and height of the pillow.
- Premium memory foam: the foam used in this pillow bounces back quite fast and is more durable than the cheap foam offered in many products.
- Mesh design: the mesh design of the pillow further enhances the inner airflow and keeps the pillow cool.
- Zippered cover: the zippered cover prevents the pieces of memory foam from slipping out of the pillow.
It comes with a bamboo pillow cover that is:
- Soft: the surface of the cover is silky smooth, minimizing the friction against your skin, friction that increases risk of hair damage and acne.
- Breathable: tiny pores in the cover enable the hot air from inside the pillow to escape out easily.
- Moisture wicking: it prevents the development of moisture on the pillow surface, minimizing the growth of acne causing bacteria.
- Hypoallergenic: bamboo rayon fabric is naturally hypoallergenic.
Ronkoff Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
This is a cooling gel infused shredded memory foam pillow. It can effectively regulate the temperature of the pillow and keep it cool throughout the night.
It’s main features include:
- Cooling gel: the cooling gel keeps the pillow cool throughout the night.
- Shredded foam: the shredded foam provides customizability.
- Bamboo cover: this pillow comes with a bamboo pillow cover.
DreamyBlue Premium Pillow for Sleeping
They have a unique blend of shredded memory foam that offers both soft bliss and firm support. While providing the feel of down, this pillow offers the firmness of memory foam.
It’s main features include:
- Adjustable pillow: shredded memory foam enables you to adjust the loft and firmness of the pillow.
- Breathable pillowcase: the bamboo fabric pillow case is soft and breathable.
- Hypoallergenic: because of a memory foam core, the pillow rarely causes any allergies.
Qutool Store Luxury Bamboo Pillow
Like the one offered by Ronkoff, this pillow contains cooling gel infused memory foam. The features are more or less the same, including:
- Cooling gel: perfect for anyone who suffers from night sweats.
- Adjustable: amount of foam can be altered to adjust the height and firmness of the pillow.
- Bamboo cover: the skin friendly cover is made with 60% polyester and 40% bamboo.
Viewstar Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
This one is a simple shredded memory foam pillow with bamboo cover. Here are the main features of this shredded memory foam pillow:
- Adjustable: like the other pillows mentioned on this list, this pillow is adjustable.
- Bamboo cover: with the outer cover made of bamboo fabric, this pillow provides a smooth experience.
- Hypoallergenic: both the cover and the pillow are hypoallergenic.
Shredded memory foam pillows offer a host of benefits: adjustability, better ventilation, good support, and durability. Instead of testing various pillow sizes and materials, you can rely on it and alter its height and firmness.
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ. Does a shredded memory foam pillow smell?
Ans. When you first get the pillow, it will have an odor of chemicals. But this odor disappears within a few days. The odor also informs you that the pillow is brand new.
Q. Does a shredded memory foam pillow get warm?
Ans. Yes, it does. Shredded memory pillows retain body heat, so they get warm. If you live in a hot climate or suffer from night sweat, then this can be a huge problem for you.
In such cases, you can purchase a cooling gel infused adjustable pillow.
Q. Can I wash shredded memory foam pillows?
Ans. You can wash only the pillow case and cover. Don’t wash the memory foam with water, as it’ll damage the foam.
Q. Can I further increase the height of the pillow?
Ans. Depends on the manufacturer. They usually send extra foam to enable you to increase the height of the pillow further.