Sleep paralysis refers to the temporary lack of movement or lack of speech while sleeping or after waking up from the sleep. People who are sufferers of sleep apnea or narcolepsy may undergo this condition of sleep paralysis but it can affect anyone, anywhere. In this medical condition, one may feel choked or unconscious too. There is a treatment for the same but the best thing that works is Sleepsia Bamboo Pillows. These pillows are responsible for providing a sound and a healthy sleep. It is very important to have these pillows full of shredded memory foam to seek relief from sleep paralysis. Now that you know 'What is sleep paralysis?' let us know its types.
What are the Types of Sleep Paralysis?
Sleep Paralysis can be categorized into two broad groups. These are-
- Preorbital or Hypnagogic sleep paralysis- If you experience sleep paralysis at the moment you doze off, it is referred to as preorbital or hypnagogic sleep paralysis.
- Postorbital or Hypnopompic sleep paralysis- If you experience sleep paralysis when you wake up, it is referred to as postorbital or hypnopompic sleep paralysis.
What are the Symptoms of Sleep Paralysis?
The primary symptom of sleep paralysis is the inability to move the body (Atonia, in medical parlance). It may occur immediately after waking up or falling asleep. During such an episode, you would feel awake and would be very much aware of the loss of muscle control.
A majority of such episodes involve hallucinations. However, these are distinctly different from typical dreams. Such hallucinations related to sleep paralysis can be further categorized as below, based on symptoms experienced-
- Intruder Hallucinations- The person gets the perception that a dangerous person is present in the room.
- Chest Pressure Hallucinations or Incubus Hallucinations- This can incite a feeling of suffocation in the patient. This type of hallucination occurs usually with intruder hallucinations.
- V-M (Vestibular-Motor) Hallucinations- This includes feelings of out-of-body sensations or movement (like flying).
Atonia can be very troublesome at times and is often associated with troubling hallucinations. Such sleep paralysis episodes can induce fear in the minds of the persons who suffer from them. Also, the perceptions of these episodes are found to be influenced by the cultural context the person is associated with.
Such episodes may last from a few seconds to even around 25 minutes. The average length of an episode is found to be between 6 to 7 minutes. An episode may end on its own or may be interrupted by the touch or voice of another person.
Usually, this happens at one of two times. The moment you are dozing off, if it happens at that moment, it is referred to as preorbital sleep paralysis or hypnagogic. The moment it happens when you are waking up, it is called postorbital sleep paralysis or hypnopompic. It is a severe condition and good pillows can definitely help in curing it. Let us know how!
Causes of Sleep Paralysis? How Bamboo Pillows Can Help?
There can be many reasons for sleep paralysis. This can be witnessed in the teens mostly. However, it can happen to anyone.
- Sudden Changes In Sleep Schedule: Many times people do jobs that require change. Shift timings when change, cause issues. The immediate change in sleeping schedule may cause sleeping paralysis.
- Psychological Disorders: Bipolar disorders, anxiety, depression, mood swings, personality change disorders, etc. are the psychological conditions that may cause sleeping paralysis.
- Narcolepsy And Sleep Apnea: Narcolepsy involves bad signaling of the brain and daytime drowsiness. Whereas, sleep apnea involves sudden stop and start of the breathing while sleeping. Both these conditions are highly responsible for sleep paralysis. However, if one sleeps on the Sleepsia Bamboo Pillows, it can be considered as the biggest benefit of all times. Its super soft surface and good circulation helps to have a healthy sleep.
- Substance Abuse: Usage of drugs, addiction to toxic substances, and habits of extreme alcoholism also make a pathway for sleep paralysis.
Bamboo Pillows are super beneficial in this condition. It is because these Sleepsia pillows mold as per the body. These don't let the legs face cramps. The cramps can also be a reason for sleep paralysis. These pillows help in providing relief during orthopedic pains. As a result, the stiffness in the body seeks an exit gate. No pain in the body, less chances of sleep paralysis, and great freshness! 'What is sleep paralysis' isn't now unknown. Now, all that we wish to know is why are these shredded memory foam pillows so beneficial in one's life?
What are the Treatments Available for Sleep Paralysis?
If you are suffering from sleep paralysis, the first step you should take is to talk to a doctor. Don’t hesitate. He will help you identify and address the underlying problems that may be causing frequent sleep paralysis episodes.
Please note that not much scientific evidence has been obtained regarding what can be the optimal treatment for this problem. Most people are not aware of the fact that sleep paralysis is pretty common and thus feel shameful or crazy after such episodes. Therefore, immediate consultation with a doctor can help in easy acknowledgement of the problem and normalization the symptoms.
The scientists have proved that there is a definite connection between sleep paralysis and other sleeping disorders. They have also established that like general sleeping problems, improving sleep hygiene can prevent sleep paralysis as well. Sleep hygiene commonly refers to the daily habits of a person that can influence his sleep quality and his bedroom settings. Sleep hygiene encompasses building an environment to promote healthy sleep. Improved sleep hygiene can ensure uninterrupted sleep and resulting health benefits.
The following sleep tips have been prescribed to improve sleep hygiene and to keep sleep paralysis at bay-
- Irrespective of whether it’s a weekend or weekday, make it a habit to hit the bed and get out of it almost at the same time. This is important to reinforce the sleep cycle in your body.
- Keep a set pre-bed routine. Try to follow the same steps each and every night, 30 to 45 minutes before you sleep. It will help your body recognize that you are nearing bedtime.
- Choose your pillow and mattress wisely. Your sleeping surface should be able to provide pain-free and comfortable sleep. Opt for a bamboo pillow if your pillow is not able to give you a proper sleep
- If you are often troubled by outside noise while sleeping, use ear plugs to keep bothersome sounds away. You can also use a fan or a white noise machine for this purpose
- Use heavy curtains to prevent lights from obstructing your sleep. You can also use an eye-mask for this purpose
- Reduce the consumption of alcohol and caffeine, especially in the evening. Caffeine can only keep you stimulated even when your body wants to sleep. Also, you may find it easier to fall asleep after a ‘bout’ of alcohol but, your sleep will get disrupted once its effect wears off.
- Stay away from electronic devices at least 45 minutes prior to hitting the bed. Devices such as tablets, laptops and cell phones are known to cause mental simulation.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I), a type of talk therapy is prescribed to improve sleep hygiene. It works to curb negative emotions and thoughts that detract people from sleep. CBT has a proven record of addressing issues like PSTD and anxiety, which may trigger sleep paralysis. However, before taking any such therapy, you must discuss with your doctor about its potential benefits or risks.
Choose Bamboo Pillows Wisely and Seek Relief During Sleep Paralysis!
These pillows are super breathable, hypoallergenic, and airy. It is the safest and wisest option to choose these pillows and have a peaceful and consistent sleep. The user may not witness broken sleep and may not struggle to have a sound sleep.
- Hypoallergenic Bamboo Pillows: These pillows don't allow the allergens to attack the user. The non-allergic sleep lessens the impact of sleep paralysis. Imagine a person suffering from sleep paralysis and suddenly getting caught with running-nose, fever, red eyes, etc. because of horrible pillows or horrible fabric. Unimaginable, right?
- Breathable: These pillows don't give chances to sleep apnea to rule over the user. These increase the air circulation and ventilation. Also, these don't let the user sweat so the pressure is less on the users while sleeping.
- Comfortable: These are good cervical pillows, pregnancy pillows, and perfect orthopedic pillows. These pillows mold as per the neck, the head, and the back. Relaxed body, less pain, and no sleep paralysis.
Our final words suggest you all to opt for the best pillows such as Bamboo Pillows from Sleepsia. It is important to choose these pillows because these give extreme relaxation to the users dealing with sleeping issues. Now that we know 'What is sleep paralysis- why not get rid of it? Nothing is impossible! It can all happen with good habits, a good schedule, and happy sleeping hours with these pillows.